Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Nature vs. Nurture at Sunoco

Sunoco CEO announces the planned closing of the Marcus Hook and Philadelphia refineries. If there are no buyers, some 1,600 jobs will be lost.

It reminds me of the parable of the scorpion and the frog.

A scorpion asks a frog for a lift across a pond because it cannot swim.

"No way," says the frog. "You'll sting me before I get halfway across. It's in your nature."

"That doesn't make any sense," replies the scorpion. "If I sting you, I'll drown too."

Convinced, the frog invites the scorpion to hop on his back. Halfway across the pond the scorpion stings him.

"Why?" asks the frog as he begins to sink. "It's not in your interest."

"It's my nature," replies the scorpion.

Of course, the analogy falls apart badly in the case of Sunoco workers and the CEO. It is in her nature and best interest to sting away.

My print column is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment